History of the Police Department
In the early days of the Borough, law enforcement was embodied in the person of a large man named Julius Doerflinger. Althrough he was just a Marshal or Constable, he acted in the capacity of chief, sergeant and patrolman. He patrolled the streets on foot, commanding respect and making the townspeople feel safe and secure.
It was not until 1922 that Arthur Ketschke was appointed as the first chief of the Borough's small Police Department. He served until 1927. His granddaughter, Sharon Grimaldi, now serves as the Borough Court Administrator.
Emile E. (Bugsy) Bourgignon was appointed in April 1927 and served until 1966, the longest tenure as a Police Chief in Bergen County history. Chief Bourgignon was the first to utilize a patrol vehicle late in 1927.
Chief Tom Stevenson was appointed in 1966 followed by Chief Joseph Basciano in 1974, Chief Paul Haebler in 1982, Chief John Frank in 1986, and Chief Joseph T. Rutigliano was appointed January 1, 2000. The Department is now being lead by Police Chief Paul Goscinski.
All the officers are trained continuously throughout the year either within the police department or at Police Academies throughout the state. The police department is augmented in times of emergency by the Police Auxiliary, a group of residents who serve their community by volunteering their time.